Happy Trails

A day in the life of, a life in the life of me.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

High as a Kite.


Awoken by the bumping of the unpaved road crawling into the 3600 meter high capital of La Paz, the 5:30p.m. sun is on its way out. Half the city lays in shadow, the other half still basking in the light. Our bus makes its way down from the high platform above, which offers us this mirador.

Within 30 seconds I'm witness to 3 men pissing at random points along the road, and as many couples getting intimate on grass that breaks up the swirl of roads.

Markets loiter about the streets with a ratio of locals to tourists somewhere near opposite to that of Koh San road.

Chaos, as Spanish is shouted from minibuses-invitations to go somewhere I've never heard of. Local street cuisine sold from plates offering food poisoning. Handmade crafts and clothes begging my purse to empty.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi Briony, first time I have tuned in since you went back to UK. Boy you get around! I love your stories and sth america is on my wish list some day. enjoy the rest of your trip
Chezza ( back in Australia now)

5:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

forgot to add comment about men - same thing in Indonesia - they just get it out anywhere and pee, don't even try to be discrete.

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home