Happy Trails

A day in the life of, a life in the life of me.

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Down the River



We´ve helter-skeltered down the Andes and landed in the Amazon basin. Contrasting heat, environment and atmosphere. I waited eagerly for the cargo boat to get moving to entice the breeze to flow. It was sweltering, but as we waited I spotted dolphins and flying fish to ease the time. I wondered what other creatures might be lurking around.



3 Days and 2 nights on board the cargo ship. Although it cooled by night the midday heat crawled over me, sucking my energy, paralyzing me as sweat wept from every pore! Snoozing in the hammock was the only thing I was capable of. It was great really being forced to do nothing. Spending time talking with travellers and locals, reading , writing and taking photos of the dense green on either side.







Our first breakfast was coupled with another dolphin performance, then we chugged further towards the rio amazonas, stopping occasionally to trade with small communities that inhabit the banks. At other times a small boat is taken to shore where people, babies, rice or monkeys embark for the cargo.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, it sounds like you're having an amazing time, I'm jealous. Just got back from a week in Spain, but doesn't really compare. Don't like the sound of the steep cliff/bus/mule combination.e careful please! miss you, Skye says mwah xxx

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home